Wednesday 25 August 2010

That was the week that was...

Well it has been a fair while between posts and worryingly this is because I have been busy. Doing things. I've been meaning to write but every time I sit down in front of my keyboard I don't. Worrying to me, because I want to write about the great time I had last week, the exhibitions I saw and the simple pleasure of being elsewhere, walking around and even being on a train. Now I start to write it flows out, I just listed why I had a great time, I could go on discussing the wonderful feeling of seeing someone again after a long while or the excitement of my up and coming move to London. However it did not dawn on me to do that because we don't analyse why we are happy we just enjoy it.

We find lots to write about in our misery and our boredom. We notice details and take the time to take them in. Our starved eyes and minds look for something else in our lacking lives. When we are happy we enjoy those things. Jean Rhys commented that she only wrote in periods of unhappiness. Wide Sargasso Sea was published after a thirty year stop-gap. Many thought she was dead, she was just happy.

The title of my blog itself speaks of this culture of misery, or less harsh, irony. But too often are these blogs used as a place to vent our woes and boredom. Honestly this blog was set up in the same vane, yet over these two months although I haven't travelled the world, worked for a big corporation or interned at a magazine (all things I desired) I have been happy. I hope this blog shows that in some way. Hopefully its title will evoke its provenance; Jarvis and his Grecian sculpture-student running through the supermarket. This is not to say I'm a misfit in an unknown 'common' world but look past the ordinary and appreciate the everyday... just a little.

Ok so this will do nothing for my disillusioned-young-adult persona, my usual irony and sarcasm have been dropped by the wayside for a little cheesey, optimism. Its hard to write about happiness but easier to write about, writing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment